The renowned Castel of Castagneto Po, located on the slopes of the famous Turin hills, is in a lovely towering position and offers a beautifully panoramic view. The dwelling is surrounded by an English-style park with age-old trees of more than 70 hectares. The Family Bruni Tedeschi started important renovation works and turned it into one of the most refined dwellings in Europe as well as the venue of exhibitions and events of special artistic interest. Indeed, the Castel, which has more than 40 rooms, was redesigned and equipped with all modern facilities.
Located on the slopes of the famous Turin hills, a protected natural area that lodges a Park and a Natural Reserve, the Castle enjoys a lovely towering position and offers a beautifully panoramic view. The dwelling is surrounded by an English-style park with age-old trees of more than 60 hectares, wherein vegetable gardens, orchards, wide flowered terraces, ancient greenhouses and farm buildings are harmoniously arranged. The park, conceived by Saverio Kurten, is particularly fascinating both for the steeper portion on the side of the Castagneto hill at the back and for the portion in the typical English style.
The structure of the building, which is characterized by Neo-gothic lines added by its last architect, Ernesto Melano, ranks the castle on the same level as other important Piedmont places in terms of beauty and
The Family Bruni Tedeschi started important renovation works and turned it into one of the most refined dwellings in Europe as well as the venue of exhibitions and events of special artistic interest.
The Castel, which has more than 40 rooms, was redesigned and equipped with all modern facilities, including lifts, kitchens, toilets and heating system, but it was also decorated with ancient boiseries and
marqueteri floors, and the several frescoes that were in the halls were restored.
Castle: tot. 2.000 sqm. ( greenhouses and basement floors excluded)
Keeper's House: tot. 500 sqm.
Farm Building Cascina Il Turacolo: tot. 2.300 sqm.
Park of the Castel: 3 hectares
Plot Area: tot. 60 hectares
The History – the origins
The castle of Castagneto Po has very ancient origins, as we find it mentioned in a written document as early as in 1019, when Otto William, the son of marquis Adalbert II, King of Italy, donated half the town of Chiasso to the monks of the Fruttuaria Abbey. In 1620 Victor Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, enfeoffed it to count Giovanni Antonio Trabucco, a powerful general of the king's finance.
Between 1500 and 1700, Castagneto suffered several invasions by the French armies and, along with Chivasso, was included in the Po defensive chain. It was the object of contention in many combats, as it was in a strategic position, one of great relevance to rulers.
In 1705, the castle was destroyed and the counts of Trabucco ordered the castle to be rebuilt based on the drawings of architect Nicolis de Robilant. It was completed in 1835 by Ernesto Melano, an architect of the King of Italy's.
By the end of 1800, the castle passed to the counts of Ceriana. Arturo Ceriana brought considerable embellishments and added a drawn gallery in the ‘500 style and finely decorated with marbles and fine carved stones. Two great artists who used to work in Piedmont, Gonin (1808- 1889) and Sereno (1829-1893), were engaged to decorate some halls.
Later on, the castle passed from the Ceriana to the Bruni Tedeschi family.
Property Features Include: Gated Entry
Views Include: Hills